Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Family Home Evening

One of the MANY things that the church has taught us is Family Home Evening. This is where we set aside one day a week to be free from worldly distractions and we spend time together as a family actively enjoying eachother.

Last night we played a game called "Somebody". There are actually different games within the game, and we chose to play one where you place body parts, mainly internal organs, on to an illustration of a person. What I like about this game is that you can play two levels of difficulty at once, giving Ronnie the ability to compete with the rest of us. So we learned some great information about the spleen, liver, trachea and more!

Afterwards we went on a LONG walk. We walked around a lake at Stone House park and Leia pulled Ron in the water, again! Silly dog.

When we came home we talked a lot about prayer, and how often we should be praying. We also talked about why we pray, and the kids were GREAT about listing their reasons. Since Ron and I have not been accustomed to constant prayer in our lives, we have decided to help eachother remember to pray throughout the day. We decided that for now we would focus on morning, noon and night, mealtime (which the kids are awesome at already!), before we travel, and family prayer time after scripture study. Obviously, we can pray at other times as we desire, but we feel with these guidelines we can receive the blessings that come with constant communication with our heavenly father. We talked about not saying prayers out of routine, or because you feel like you have to, but because we have something to talk to Heavenly Father about. It was real awesome and I just loved how we felt when we closed our Family Home Evening last night.

As Ronnie would say, two more night-nights and we will go camping! I can't wait.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ooh, you'll have to tell me about that Somebody game!

Look, I'm commenting!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Maura said...

Wow, I love the way your spent your family home evening. It sounds absolutely wonderful! (And I want to hear more about the Somebody game too!)

I'm glad you liked my blog post about slipping under the radar. You are welcome to share it with anyone you think might like to read it!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Maura said...

Oops, that last comment was from me... Maura :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just wanted to tell you that I found your blog through Toni in the Midst and really like it. It was so refreshing and encouraging to read about your family night. We try to do that once a week too, although we don't make it a lot of the time. Hubby is so busy at church with deacon meetings and Bible studies. I asked him to slow those things way down when our school year starts in a couple of weeks because we all need his support in the evenings (me more than anyone else!) Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home